About Our Attorneys View All
Leah S. Strickland
Leah S. Strickland | Partner
Leah Strickland is an attorney in the firm’s litigation practice group. Her practice focuses on business litigation, employment litigation, and intellectual property disputes, and she has substantial experience defending against claims under the state and federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. She advises individuals and businesses in resolving disputes prior to the commencement of litigation, and represents clients after litigation has begun in both federal and state court actions.
Ms. Strickland received her Juris Doctor from the College of William & Mary School of Law, and was a recipient of the merit-based Graduate Research Fellowship. While at William & Mary, Ms. Strickland also served as a member of Law Review, was admitted into the William & Mary Chapter of Order of the Coif, and earned CALI Awards in Philosophy of the Law and Patent Law. Before law school, she earned her undergraduate degree from the University of Texas at Austin, where she graduated with high honors and was admitted into the Phi Beta Kappa Society.
Ms. Strickland is currently a member of the SDCBA Legal Ethics Committee and the Appellate Practice Section, and she frequently writes and lectures on legal topics.
- William & Mary School of Law, 2007, Order of the Coif, William & Mary Law Review
- The University of Texas at Austin, 2000, B.A., with high honors, departmental honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated
- San Diego Magazine’s Top Lawyers in San Diego® – Litigation, 2019
- San Diego Metro Magazine’s San Diego’s Best Attorneys Award, 2019
- California Lawyers Association, Business Law Section: Consumer Financial Services Law Committee Member, 2019
- SDCBA Appellate Practice Section, member 2013-present
- Civil Appellate Self-Help Workshop, SDCBA Appellate Practice Section, volunteer 2014-present
- San Diego Super Lawyers® Business Litigation, 2018-19
- San Diego Metro Magazine’s Women Who Impact San Diego Award, 2018
- San Diego County Bar Association (“SDCBA”) Legal Ethics Committee, member 2011-present (Vice Chair, 2018)
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars®, 2015 – 2017
- SDCBA Intellectual Property Section, member 2011-present (Co-Chair 2012-2014, At Large 2015)
- Leadership Development Committee, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (San Diego Chapter) (2012-2015)
- Nominated for Outstanding Young Attorney for 2012 by the San Diego Daily Transcript and San Diego Source
- Admitted in the Southern, Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California, the Ninth Circuit and Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court
- Member, ACA International, Receivables Mgmt. Assoc. Intl. (RMAI)
- Member, Business Law and Intellectual Property Sections of the State Bar of California
- Member, Arizona State Bar, California State Bar, D.C. Bar (inactive) and Virginia State Bar (inactive)
- Member, Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity
- Co-presenter in debate, “Constitutionality of the FDCPA and Rosenthal Act under the First Amendment,” presented at the meeting of the Consumer Financial Services Committee, Business Law Section of the California Lawyers Association, Sept. 19, 2019.
- Co-presenter, “Collections and Bankruptcy – The B-Word Doesn’t Have to Mean ‘Bust,’” ACA International Convention & Expo, San Diego, CA, July 15, 2019.
- Co-presenter, “Ethically Advocating for your client: A review of new professional/civility rules of conduct affecting attorney advocacy,” 2019 Civil Litigation Conference: Behind the Courtroom Veil – An Insiders’ Perspective, The Civil Litigation Law Section of the SDCBA, San Diego, CA, June 6, 2019.
- Presenter, “Consumer/Creditor Rights in California,” Litigation Roundtable, Mary Alexander Litigation Roundtable Group, San Diego, CA, Feb. 19, 2018.
- Co-presenter, “Liking—How the Cannons of Ethics Applies to Lawyers Using Social Media,” ACA International Fall Forum & Expo, Chicago, IL, Nov. 8, 2018.
- Presenter, “When the Agreement Goes Bad,” part of Business Contracts: Top 11 Most Costly Mistakes, NBI, Inc., Santa Ana, CA, Aug. 16, 2017.
- “Cybersecurity, Client Confidences, and ABA Formal Opinion 477R”, For The Record, SDCBA, June 2017.
- Co-presenter, “Top 10 Ethics Rulings of 2016 (So Far),” Solomon Ward Seidenwurm & Smith LLP, San Diego, CA, Nov. 16, 2016.
- Presenter, “Ethical Boundaries in Social Media” and “Client Confidentiality Breaches,” part of Ethics and Social Media: What Attorneys Need to Know, NBI, Inc., San Diego, CA, June 24, 2015.
- Presenter, Closing Argument, part of ABTL Teaching the Art of Trial Skills Seminar, ABTL (San Diego Chapter), San Diego, CA, Jan. 24, 2015.
- Moderator, ABTL Nuts & Bolts Series: “Use of Depositions at Trial,” ABTL (San Diego Chapter), San Diego, CA, June 25, 2013.
- Co-presenter, “Top 10 California Legal Ethics Rulings of 2012-2013,” Foothills Bar Association, La Mesa, CA, July 18, 2013.
- Co-presenter, Our Town, Our Ethics: An Interactive Program in Legal Ethics in Three Parts, SDCBA Legal Ethics Committee, San Diego, CA, Jan. 24, 2013.
- “Courtroom Technology 101,” San Diego Lawyer, Sept.-Oct. 2012.
- “To Friend or Not to Friend? Navigating the ethics of ‘friending’ witnesses online,” San Diego Lawyer, May-June 2012.
- “Rule 68: Offers and Consequences in Class Action Suits,” The Federal Bar Association Newsletter, San Diego Chapter, Spring 2012.
- Presenter, “Top 10 Ethics Rulings in 2011,” Legal Affairs Forum, California Association of Realtors, Indian Wells, CA, Jan. 20, 2012.