About Our Attorneys View All
Daniel E. Gardenswartz
Daniel E. Gardenswartz | Managing Partner
My clients trust me to provide them with strategic and aggressive legal services that will result in the best outcome possible, and in a manner that is the most cost effective. This requires a clear understanding of the key issues and the desired goals. These principles govern my approach to every matter in which I have the pleasure of assisting my clients.
Mr. Gardenswartz represents businesses and individuals in employment, business, and construction litigation, including complex class action trials and business disputes. He regularly advises senior executives and in-house counsel on dispute prevention, and how to build the strongest possible case. Mr. Gardenswartz also provides a variety of legal seminars on topics within his particular expertise.
Mr. Gardenswartz received his undergraduate degree in International Affairs from George Washington University’s Elliot School of International Affairs, where he graduated with distinction and was admitted into the Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society. He then earned his Juris Doctorate degree, with Highest Distinction, from Emory University School of Law. At Emory, Mr. Gardenswartz served as an Editor of the Emory Law Review, was admitted into the Order of the Coif Legal Honor Society, and earned the American Jurisprudence Book Award in Appellate Litigation. After externing with the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights in Atlanta, Daniel moved to San Diego, where he has practiced law since 1993 and was recently named the firm’s Managing Partner. Beyond his professional interests, Mr. Gardenswartz and his wife, Allison, have three children. In addition to spending time with his family, Mr. Gardenswartz is an avid athlete and enjoys skiing, mountain biking, and endurance trail races.
- Emory University, JD, 1993
- George Washington University, Elliot School of Int’l Affairs, B.A., 1989
- Hebrew University, Jerusalem (year abroad, 1987)
- Board Member, Hillel of San Diego
- Former Board Member, American Business Trial Lawyers Association
- Former Board Member and past Chair, Anti-Defamation League,
- Former Board Member, San Diego Barrister, Welsh Inn of Court
- Member, the San Diego County and California Bar Associations
- AV Top Rated Lawyer®- Labor & Employment Law, 2013 -2016
- San Diego Super Lawyers® – Employment & Labor, 2008-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated
- Top Lawyers in San Diego® – Employment Law, 2013 – 2015, 2018
- Previous Adjunct Law Professor, California Western School of Law and Western CUNA Management School
- Order of the Coif National Honor Society
- Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society
- Managing Partner, Solomon Ward Seidenwurm & Smith, LLP
- San Diego Metro Magazine’s Best Attorney Award, 2016, 2018
- “Employment Law: 2015 Comprehensive Guide,” National Business Institute, October 28, 2015
- “Human Resource Law: What You Need to Know Now,” National Business Institute, October 30, 2013
- “Labor Relations Board ruling allow employees to vent online,” The Daily Transcript, April 29, 2013
- Co-Author of Solomon Ward’s Employment Law Watch and Updates
- Presented to the Pacific Claims Executive Association (PCEA) Fall conference, Oct 3, 2012
- “Unprotected Sex: When Sexual Misconduct Does Not Constitute Sexual Harassment,”Bender’s Labor & Employment Bulletin, December 2012
- “Communication Is Key to Avoiding Legal Conflict in the Workplace, WORK FORCE: Strategies Include Open Door Policies And Honest Evaluations,” San Diego Business Journal, August 30, 2010
- “Fire Dancing with Problem Employees, Balancing Business Needs and Legal Risks,”June 22, 2010
- “Put Down the Ax, Employers should exercise legal caution when using cost-saving strategies to avoid layoffs,” San Diego Daily Transcript, May 5, 2010
- “Are There Skeletons In Your Commission Compensation Closet?,” December 10, 2009
- “Why Employers May No Longer Have to Force Meal Breaks Upon Employees,” San Diego Daily Transcript, August 21, 2008
- “Employee Benefit Minefields: Ensuring against false expectations,” San Diego Daily Transcript, February 1, 2008
“Dan is a terrific labor law attorney. He offers well thought out advice and boils the legal detail into plain no nonsense business talk. His understanding of the legal landscape allows him to proactively keep our mutual clients in step with the latest legal decisions.” October 17, 2011
Sallie Giblin, Sr. Vice President, Lockton Companies
“When I first met Dan, he was representing someone who was suing my company. Believe it or not, things were resolved fairly and all parties involved were satisfied with the result — really.
I was so impressed that the next time I had a legal issue, I called Dan. Over the years, Dan has become a friend and a confidant.
Please note that the testimonials or endorsements on this page do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.
Needless to say, I give Dan my 5-star rating.” August 4, 2011
Alan “Mitt” Mittleman, Director of Sales & Marketing, LOT Management
“Dan is an effective and ethical employment lawyer. I’ve been opposite him and have referred him clients. I trust Dan to take great care of people that I refer him.” July 21, 2011
Fred Plevin, Managing Partner, Paul, Plevin, Sullivan & Connaughton LLP
“Dan is a wonderful person and very practical as a lawyer. Very fair rates, and we worked on an important employment matter where the results were excellent. This is a sensible guy who knows business law and knows employment law, he advocates for his clients but he stays calm.” July 11, 2011
Ron Zollman, General Counsel, iOmega
“Dan’s deep expertise in employment law makes him a valued business partner and resource. As an ace litigator, he is able to think strategically, and he leverages this experience to provide no-nonsense, practical advice. He anticipates many of the “what ifs” that can happen and prepares accordingly. I learn something new every time I work with him.” May 10, 2011
Ann Sullivan, Principal, Innovative HR Resources
“I have had the privilege of utilizing Dan’s services several times, both for personal matters and for corporate representations. In every instance, I have been impressed by Dan’s understanding of both the legal and business issues surrounding the matter, and the quality of the advice he provided. Like many clients, I didn’t always like hearing what he had to say, but he invariably was correct. I would not hesitate to recommend Dan to anyone, and plan on using his services again in the future.” May 21, 2008
James Holden, General Counsel & Director of Legal Services, Rhino Linings Corporation
“Finding Dan Gardenswartz was one of the first right decisions we made after relocating to and setting up business in San Diego. We’ve come back to Dan whenever we’ve needed business and legal advice over the years. I can’t say enough about his great work, intelligence and demeanor. I do not hesitate to recommend Dan to my own clients and business colleagues.” May 16, 2008
Julie Wright, President, (W)right On Communications
Disclaimer: Please note that the testimonials or endorsements on this page do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.