About Our Attorneys View All
William N. Kammer
William N. Kammer | Partner
My years of trial experience allow me to distill complex factual, technical, and legal issues to logical and clear expressions. I also lead our Electronic Discovery and ESI Services Team and use this experience to manage reasonable and defensible electronic discovery evolutions.
Bill Kammer’s substantive backgrounds reflect a variety of experiences in his lengthy career, ranging from basic negligence and contract cases through environmental, maritime, and communications law to a present practice that concentrates on complex business, real estate, and technology cases with an emphasis on electronic discovery class actions and unfair competition matters. This breadth of experience allows him the facile ability to utilize and apply the lessons he has learned to a constantly changing litigation environment.
Because few cases ever go to trial, he seeks aggressively to resolve his clients’ matters as early and fairly as possible. He uses all of the firm’s hardware and software to process discovery, manage documents, and prepare cases, and other software programs to evaluate them and display their key features. He is the partner in charge of the firm’s eDiscovery practice that won the 2013 Law Technology News Innovation Award.
Born in New Orleans, Bill received his A.B. from Fordham University in 1964, an M.A. from Duke in 1965, and a J.D. from Tulane in 1972. In law school, he was an editor on the law review, won the Moot Court competition, and was elected to Order of the Coif. He served on active duty with the United States Navy from 1965 to 1969 and retired as a Captain in the Submarine Reserve.
- Tulane University School of Law
- Duke University, M.A. Political Science
- Fordham University, A.B. in Political Science
- San Diego Magazine’s Top Lawyers in San Diego® – Business Litigation, 2013-2014, 2018-2019
- San Diego Super Lawyers® Business Litigation, Class Action/ Mass Torts, EDiscovery, and Communications, 2007-19
- AV Top Rated Lawyer®- Business Litigation, 2013 and 2016
- San Diego’s Best Attorneys, 2014
- 2013 Winners: Law Technology News Innovation Award (firms <100)
- Associate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Captain, United States Navy Reserve (Retired)
- Former Adjunct Professor, Communications Law and Policy, USD School of Law
- Former Partner and Chair of Litigation Department at San Diego’s largest firm
- Former Lawyer Representative to the 9th Circuit Judicial Conference
- MartindaleHubbell AV Preeminent® Rated
- Mediator and Arbitrator, National Roster of Neutrals, American Arbitration Association
- Member of the American, California, and San Diego Bar Associations
- Past National President, Tulane Alumni Association
- Past President, San Diego chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Steering Committee, San Diego ESI Forum
- “Lawyers Can’t Be Luddites,” American Bar Association, November 19, 2014
- Frequent lecturer to lawyers and other professionals on electronic discovery and expert witness topics.
- Representative programs are: eDiscovery 101; Best ESI Practices for (Almost) All Cases; Focus on Electronic Discovery; Google for Law Offices; Confronting Electronic Discovery; Accessibility: Rule 26(b)(2)(B); eDiscovery and the Amended Federal Rules of Civil Procedure; What’s A Client to Do?; Google for Lawyers
- Distinguished Panel Speaker at the 2013 and 2014 AccessData Users Conferences; Virtual Corporate Counsel; and San Diego ESI Forum.
- San Diego Lawyer – Beware the Internet of Things
- San Diego Lawyer – Have You Been Pwned?
- San Diego Lawyer – 2017: The Year of Encryption
- San Diego Lawyer – Tips, Gadgets and Tricks
- San Diego Lawyer – Tips for our Trade
- San Diego Lawyer – Cybersecurity Should be Every Lawyer’s Concern