About Our Attorneys View All
Deborah A. Yates
Deborah A. Yates | Attorney
For my clients, every litigation is “bet the company” litigation. Even the potential for litigation can cause stress and confusion. As such, I treat every case with passion and commitment to secure a favorable outcome for my clients. My goal is to guide clients through the rough waters of litigation and bring about the best result possible. I handle the headaches and stress of litigation, so that my clients can focus on their business.
Ms. Yates has years of experience serving a wide range of business clients, from small private schools to international pharmaceutical companies. Ms. Yates handles litigation from case development through resolution. She has extensive experience litigating in both state and federal courts, with cases ranging from breach of contract to wage and hour cases to the TCPA to patent infringement. Ms. Yates coordinates closely with clients to develop strategy, manage, and execute cases. In addition, Ms. Yates guides clients to non-litigation solutions including private or mediated settlements or arbitration when appropriate.
For several years before joining Solomon Ward Seidenwurm & Smith, Ms. Yates served as Counsel at the law firm WilmerHale in Washington, D.C, where she was a member of the IP Department of the Year named by The American Lawyer in January 2014.
- Defense of restaurant group sued under the TCPA resulting in dismissal with prejudice based on pre-motions meeting and conferring
- Representation of two pharmaceuticals companies in case that settled in clients’ favor for over two billion dollars
- Defense of private school in breach of contract case resulting in favorable settlement
- Defense of company sued for patent infringement resulting in invalidation of the patent prior to trial
- Representation of California-based industry consortium in patent infringement action resulting in favorable trial judgment upheld on appeal
- Defense of paycheck-issuing company resulting in early, favorable settlement
- George Mason University School of Law, 2007, J.D., first in class
- The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, 1995, M.B.A., with the highest distinction and Palmer Scholar designation (top 5%)
- University of Maryland, 1988, B.S. in Management Science and Economics, valedictorian
- Barrister, Welsh American Inn of Court
- Member of the California State Bar
- Member of the San Diego County Bar Association
- Member of the Federal Bar Association, San Diego Chapter
- Member of the Lawyers Club
- Member of Virginia and DC Bars (inactive)
- Admitted to practice at the Southern District of California, the Central District of California, and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit