About Our Attorneys View All
Stephen L. Schreiner
Partner & General Counsel
Stephen L. Schreiner | Partner & General Counsel
Mr. Schreiner represents clients in complex business, commercial, and real estate litigation. He has extensive experience as lead attorney in numerous state and federal court judge and jury trials, arbitrations, and appeals. Mr. Schreiner has expertise in California gaming law, and represents gambling establishments before a variety of administrative tribunals and governmental regulatory agencies, including the California Gambling Control Commission. Mr. Schreiner has broad knowledge of legal ethics and professional responsibility, and serves as the Firm’s General Counsel.
- Lead attorney in numerous judge and jury trials and arbitrations of complex business, commercial, and real estate cases
- Represented gaming industry businesses, including casino and card room owners and third-party player proposition providers, in administrative proceedings before the California Gambling Control Commission and licensing disputes with the California Bureau of Gambling Control.
- Handled numerous administrative law and evidentiary hearing matters.
- Represented business owners and professionals in a variety of insurance coverage disputes and complex multi-party settlement negotiations.
- Prosecuted and defended numerous disputes among corporate shareholders, officers, and directors, general and limited partners, and limited liability company members involving a wide range of contract, business tort, and unfair competition claims.
- Handled litigation, including dissolution, wind-up, and accounting claims, among owners of legal, medical, and accounting practices.
- Involved in a broad range of commercial and residential real estate lawsuits, including development agreement and construction contract claims, lease issues, land use and environmental matters, and expunging lis pendens.
- Defended products liability, warranty, personal injury, and wrongful death claims on behalf of manufacturers of building materials, sporting goods, and other products. Defended state-wide consumer class action involving allegations of false advertising and unfair competition.
- Successfully handled numerous appeals in California Courts of Appeal, Ninth Circuit, and California Supreme Court.
- Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California at Berkeley, J.D. 1983
- University of California at San Diego, B.A. 1980
- MartindaleHubbell AV Preeminent® Rated
- San Diego Super Lawyers® – Business Litigation, 2013-18
- AV Top Rated Lawyers® – Business Litigation, 2013-18
- Top Lawyers in San Diego® – Business Litigation, 2013-18
- Admitted to practice in all state, federal, and bankruptcy courts in California
- California State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association San Diego Chapter
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers – San Diego Chapter
- California Continuing Education of the Bar Program Panelist
- Recent Developments in Civil Litigation
- Fundamentals of Civil Trial Practice
- Regent Emeritus, University of California Board of Regents
- Trustee Emeritus, UC San Diego Foundation Board
- UC San Diego Foundation Board
- Nominations Committee Chair – 2011-13
- Trustee – 2007-13
- Chair, UC San Diego Chancellor’s Associates – 2004-05
- UC San Diego Alumni Association
- 2014 True Triton Award, Recipient
- President – 1996-98
- Executive Committee – 1992-98
- Director – 1991-98 and 2010-12
- Arthritis Foundation – San Diego Chapter
- Vice President – 1997-98
- Director and General Counsel – 1993-98
- La Jolla Country Club
- President – 2016-17
- Legal Committee Chair – 2014-16
- Director – 2014-17