About Our Attorneys View All
Stephen T. Toohill
Stephen T. Toohill | Partner
Stephen Toohill has over 30 years of broad commercial real estate experience with a focus on representation of commercial, retail, hospitality, industrial and biotech developers, owners and tenants, with respect to acquisition, development, leasing and sale of improved and unimproved property. Mr. Toohill has particular experience in mixed-use high-rise commercial development, representing landlords and tenants in commercial leasing transactions, hotel acquisitions and representation of borrowers in complex loan and loan workout transactions. He is a frequent speaker on commercial leasing issues. In addition to contributions to the CEB Office Leasing and Ground Lease Practice Treatises, Mr. Toohill has authored various articles and updates on commercial leasing matters.
Mr. Toohill was a certified public accountant in Illinois in 1983.
- Current representation of a joint venture, including Hines, Urban Pacific Development and Goldman Sachs in the acquisition and development of two San Francisco parcels relating to the San Francisco Transit Center development, which will include, on one parcel, a 750 foot tall mixed use building, including residential units, office space, retail space, hotel space, as well as affordable housing units. The acquisition closed in 2016.
- Representation of a developer in acquisition of land, joint venture negotiations, financing, development and ultimate sale of all units in a two phase high-rise condominium project known as Rincon Hill in San Francisco, California. Representation commenced in 2002 and continued until the second phase of the project was sold in 2015.
- Representation of a public company in acquiring seven commercial lots for expansion of the company campus in Carlsbad, California. The transaction closed in 2015.
- Representation of a developer in the development, financing and branding of a hotel in the Waikiki Beach area in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Representation of an investor/owner in the acquisition, financing, branding and ultimate sale of a 20 hotel portfolio located throughout the United States.
- Representation of public company tenant in a 200,000 square foot build-to-suit leasing transaction in Carlsbad, California.
- Representation of public company tenant in a 100,000 square foot build-to-suit leasing transaction in Tempe, Arizona.
- Representation of San Diego investor in portfolio agreement with investment capital partner relating to acquisition of retail properties throughout Southern California. Closed six acquisitions of retail properties in a twelve month period.
- Representation of One America Plaza landlord in leasing of approximately 500,000 square foot office building from initial lease up in 1992 through approximately 2006.
- Representation of investor/owner relating to three downtown San Diego high-rise office buildings comprising approximately 1,200,000 square feet from acquisition until disposition.
- Representation of the Hahn Company and Family Bargain Center in retail leasing throughout the United States.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, 1984, JD
- Bradley University, 1981 BS Accounting, magna cum laude
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Nativity Prep Academy – 2012-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America® – Real Estate Law, 2013-2018
- Top Lawyers in San Diego® – Real Estate Law
- The Daily Transcript: San Diego County Top Attorneys – Real Estate & Construction Transactional
- AV Top Rated Lawyer®- Real Estate Law
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated
- Wall Street Journal, Best Lawyers in Southern California, 2018
- Contributing author, CEB Office Leasing Treatise
- Contributing author, CEB Ground Leasing Treatise
- Commercial Leasing in the New Economy – State Bar Real Property Retreat
- Work Letter Issues Seminar – State Bar Real Property Retreat
- Advanced Commercial Lease CEB Seminar
- Lease Workouts – State Bar of California
- Commercial Lease Remedies – CLE Advanced Conference
- Environmental Issues in Leasing – Real Property Law Section
- Lease Review Workshop – BOMA
- “Is Adaptive Reuse the New Normal?” Commercial Property Executive, September 19, 2018